ADAPTED PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Adapted Physical Education is physical education which has been adapted or modified, so that it is as appropriate for the person with a disability as it is for a person without a disability. The APE teacher is a direct service provider, not a related service provider, because physical education for children with disabilities is a federally mandated component of special education services.
Federal law mandates that physical education be provided to students with disabilities and defines Physical Education as the development of:
- physical and motor skills
- fundamental motor skills and patterns (throwing, catching, walking, running, etc.)
- skills in aquatics, dance, and individual and group games and sports
(including intramural and lifetime sports)
The services provided by an APE teacher include:
- Planning services
- Assessment of Individuals /Ecosystems
- Prescription/Placement: The IEP
- Evaluation of Services
- Coordination of Resources and Consulting
Contact Exceptional Student Services at (225) 929-8600.