Click here to down load the “Checklist for Helping Your Child with Homework.” You will need the free Acrobat Reader program to view the downloaded document or you may print this page.
Checklist for Helping Your Child with Homework
1. Show You Think Education and Homework Are Important.
- Does your child have the papers, books, pencils, and other things needed to do assignments?
- Do you set a regular time everyday for homework?
- Does your child have a fairly quiet place to study with lots of light?
- Do you set a good example by reading and writing yourself?
- Do you stay in touch with your child’s teachers?
2. Monitor Assignments.
- Do you know what your child’s homework assignments are? How long they should take? How the teacher wants you to be involved?
- Do you see that assignments are started and completed?
- Do you read the teacher’s comments on assignments that are returned?
- Is TV viewing cutting into your child’s homework time?
3. Provide Guidance.
- Do you understand and respect your child’s style of learning? Does he work better alone or with someone else? Does he learn best when he can see things, hear them, or handle them?
- Do you help your child to get organized? Does your child need a calendar or assignment book, a bag for books, and a folder for papers?
- Do you encourage your child to develop good study habits (e.g., scheduling enough time for big assignments; making up practice tests)?
- Do you talk with your child about homework assignments? Does he/she understand them?
4. Talk with Someone at School When Problems Come Up.
- Do you meet the teacher early in the year before any problems arise?
- If a problem comes up, do you meet with the teacher?
- Do you cooperate with the teacher and your child to work out a plan and a schedule to fix homework problems?
- Do you follow up with the teacher concerning problem resolution(s) and progress?
Locate Area Technology
EBRPSS, Hospital/Homebound Program, James Newman, Supervisor, PH (225) 929-8692 FAX (225) 929-8775
H/H Program Office: Choctaw Admin Center, Room 29, 2875 Michelli Drive, BR, LA 70805, PH (225) 226-3661, FAX (225) 226-3630 Contact Us