Fiscal Year: July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019
Support Programs processes the following for Teachers and Paraprofessionals to obtain certification status:
- Praxis Reimbursement
- Teacher Tuition Assistance or Reimbursement
Praxis Reimbursement and Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement do not guarantee continued employment, new job assignments, pay increases or promotions.
**All funding is contingent upon the availability of funds.**
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019
(All coursework/assessments for which participants are seeking assistance or reimbursement, must be undertaken and submitted Human Resources between July 1, 2018-May 31, 2019)
Support Programs also processes applications for the two programs that are available for teachers in Louisiana who are interested in taking free courses for college credit to continue their education.
- BESE Tuition Program for Teachers
- Louisiana Classroom Teacher Enrollment Program (CTEP)
- Participants are eligible for only one Praxis reimbursement payment per fiscal year.
- All full-time (Teachers/Paraprofessionals) must be employed during the entire school semester for which reimbursement is sought.
- New Hires: Praxis must be undertaken after the first day of employment.
- Separated Employees: Praxis must be completed during the time of employment.
- Employees on sabbatical leave are not eligible for Praxis reimbursement.
- Only passing scores are eligible for reimbursement.
- Praxis Reimbursement only includes the cost of the assessment.
- The maximum reimbursement for the School Leadership Praxis test is $350.00.
Procedures for Praxis Reimbursement:
- Complete the Praxis Reimbursement application.
- Include the Praxis score report and documentation that reflects a payment to ETS. (e.g. bank statement, credit card statement, money order receipt)
- The participant’s name and address must be displayed on the payment documentation.
- Submit the application and documentation to The Office of Human Resources.
Teacher Tuition Assistance / Reimbursement
- Certified classroom teachers that are required to obtain Out-of-Field (OFAT) certification
- Existing ESL (English as a Second Language) personnel that are required to obtain ESL certification
- All full-time participants must be employed during the entire school semester for which assistance is sought.
- Employees on sabbatical leave are not eligible for Teacher Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement.
- Separated Employees: Courses must be completed during your time of employment.
- Participants must attend an accredited undergraduate institution, receive passing grades of C or higher, and attain college credits.
- A maximum of six (6) credits will be allotted per semester for each fiscal year: July 1st- June 6th
- As of July 1, 2016, Summer courses are ineligible for Tuition Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement.
- Tuition assistance/reimbursement is applicable only to the prescribed courses listed on the certification plan of study.
- Incomplete courses or withdrawal from courses are the responsibility of the participant.
- The amount paid by the school district for a private College/University, which must be approved by the State, shall not exceed the highest tuition charged by a public College/University in the State.
- Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement covers only “pure tuition” fees.
Procedures for Teacher Tuition Assistance:
- Complete the Tuition Assistance application and attain the principal’s signature.
- Submit the following to the Office of Human Resources at least five days prior to the start of the semester:
- The completed application
- A copy of your class schedule and transcript
- A completed OFAT certification plan of study
- A list will be sent to the University so that the applicants’ accounts are credited. University policy may differ on how and when this credit is posted.
Procedures for Teacher Tuition Reimbursement:
- Complete the Teacher Tuition Reimbursement application and attain the principal’s signature.
- Submit the application and a copy of your class schedule to the Office of Human Resources at least five days prior to the start of the semester.
- Register for the coursework and pay all fees required.
- After the completion of the coursework, submit a copy of your approved application with the required documentation
- Passing grades of C or Higher
- University receipts
- Proof of payment (bank/credit card statement or money order receipt that also reflects the participant’s name and address)
BESE Tuition Program for Teachers
The BESE Tuition Program for Teachers is a competitive program that allows teachers to enroll in courses at Louisiana colleges and universities at the state’s expense. Teachers selected into the program will have their course tuition paid directly to the Louisiana Office of State Financial Assistance by the Louisiana Department of Education.
Participants must complete the above application for Fall 2018 semester courses by July 23, 2018. Applicants must also advise the employing authority of application completion.
Application decisions will be communicated on July 27, 2018.
Funding will be awarded as available. Applicants that meet the following criteria will be prioritized:
- proposed course is related to the implementation of a high school STEM Pathway
- proposed course is a STEM course
- employed in a rural district
- employed at a Comprehensive Intervention Required school
- proposed course fits into a broader certification, higher degree, or other program
Awardees are guaranteed funding for a course, but not guaranteed enrollment in the course. Participating teachers must meet all course requirements and follow the enrollment process of the participating college or university.
Tuition shall not be paid on the following:
- Non-credit courses or audit courses.
- Non-instructional credit courses such as examination courses.
- Courses in theology or divinity
- Courses for applicants who are receiving retirement funds from a State retirement system.
- Courses taken by independent study.
- Applicants receiving other financial assistance (i.e. stipends, graduate assistantships) specified for tuition/registration costs are ineligible for the BESE Tuition Program for Teachers.
More information about the BESE Tuition Program for Teachers can be found at: https://www.louisianabelieves.com/teaching/continuing-education-opportunities-for-educators.
Applicants that do not receive a spot in the BESE Tuition Program for Teachers will be eligible to apply to take courses through the Board of Regents Louisiana Classroom Teacher Enrollment Program (CTEP).
Louisiana Classroom Teacher Enrollment Program (CTEP)
Louisiana Revised Statute 17:7.3 requires the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) to establish a continuing education program at Louisiana colleges and universities under which classroom teachers may take courses with tuition paid by the State.
This law creates the Louisiana Classroom Teacher Enrollment Program (CTEP), which, if several stipulations are met, allows classroom teachers to attend approved Louisiana colleges and universities tuition free (all other fees must be paid by the teacher) on a space available basis.
When applying for CTEP, the following requirements must be met:
- Participant is employed as a full-time, certified classroom teacher in East Baton Rouge Parish School System
- The teacher was employed during the last academic years as a full-time classroom teacher
- The participant commits to EBRPSS that s/he will practice his/her profession as a classroom teacher for at least the subsequent year
- The school in which h/she teaches is a state-approved public or non-public elementary or secondary school under the jurisdiction of the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE)
- The teacher must have no outstanding financial obligation to any college or university participating in CTEP
- When applying for CTEP, teachers cannot preregister or register for the courses through regular registration and will enter the courses after drop/add if space is available.
The ETS Paraprofessional Praxis Assessment was developed to ensure that paraprofessionals that are serving in an instructional capacity meet the definition of Highly Qualified.
To view exemption guidelines for the Praxis Paraprofessional Exam, please click on the link below:
- Participants must contact the Office of Support Programs (225-922-5609 or 225-922-5672) to attain registration availability.
- After receiving availability status:
- A non-refundable $55.00 money order must be mailed or delivered to the Office of Human Resources:
- 1050 S. Foster Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- A non-refundable $55.00 money order must be mailed or delivered to the Office of Human Resources:
- The money order is made payable to- East Baton Rouge Parish School System. or EBRPSS.
- If mailing in the payment, please include your name, requested test date, and contact information.
- Number of questions: 90
- Time: 2½ hours
- Format/Delivery: Multiple-Choice; Computer-delivered
- Content Categories: Reading (30 questions), Mathematics (30 questions), Writing (30 questions)
- Passing score: 450 (participants will receive an unofficial copy of their scores on the day of the test)
- Beanka Brumfield-Williams, Coordinator of Support Programs- (225)922-5482
- Allison Brown-Lands, Professional Development Specialist- (225)922-5672
- Jacqueline Wright, Steno Clerk III- (225)922-5609
- Antonia Acosta, Coordinator of Title I, Office of Federal Programs- (225)922-5517
Revised July 1, 2018 © East Baton Rouge Parish School System
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System and all of its entities (including Career and Technical Education Programs) does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, disability or gender in its educational programs and activities (including employment and application for employment), and it is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of gender by title IX (20 USC 168) and on the basis of disability by Section 504 (42 USC 794). The Title IX Coordinator is Andrew Davis (Adavis6@ebrschools.org), Director of Risk Management- phone (225)929-8705; and the Director of Exceptional Student Services is Elizabeth Taylor Chapman (Etaylor@ebrschools.org) – phone (225)929-8600.